Sunday, February 26, 2012

What's in a name? That which we call a rose.

I was on my way to lunch with my parents today when I started to think about my friends. I thought about how my friend Jordin started spelling her name like JordIn instead of JordAn. And then I thought about how I have a friend named Jordin. And then I started think about the name and saying it over again and again in my head. Jordin. JOrdin. JorDin. JordIn. And then I started freaking out. Oh my God. I have a friend named Jordin. What the hell.

I think it was just one of those things where you say a word over and over again until the word sounds completely foreign. But for like a split second I wasn't entirely sure that my friend's name was Jordin. Because then I started thinking about all my other friends' names. They all seemed normal. Like, oh yeah, her name's definitely Morgan. Am I crazy? Is there something totally wrong with me?

I like to think I'm not a freak or weird. But, I mean, I doubted the name of a friend/second cousin that I've known for my whole life. Maybe the change in spelling is what freaked me out? However, she's been spelling it like that for four or five years now. It's really not surprising anymore.

Does this ever happen to any of you? I don't mean just when  a word starts to sound not like a word. I genuinely panicked about whether that was her name or not. If not, please say yes. I don't want to be crazy.




*title from Romeo and Juliet

3 comments:

  1. That definitely happened to me once. You're not alone with this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate that feeling, when you say a word SO MANY TIMES that you start to think it's not even a word. It freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol very weird, I've never panicked but definitely thought a word didn't sound right after saying it over and over again

    ReplyDelete