Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Done, done, and almost done!

I did it! As of yesterday I am done with my college applications. Well, not entirely. I still need to get my teacher recommendation, but that's the easy part considering all I have to do is ask a teacher to do it for me. Really the only part I was dreading about the whole thing was the personal essay. I don't really know why since I'm a decent writer... I guess just because the whole applying to colleges thing seemed overwhelming scary. It's something I've thought about ever since I was old enough to know about college. But the hard part's already been done. I've put in the strenuous amount of work my whole life. Getting good grades, doing the extra curricular activities, getting good test scores on the standardized tests. But it feels so extremely good to have this all done. Now I just have to complete my senior year and wait. This is the easy part. [Not really, I mean calculus is definitely not easy. But let me just kid myself for the next two days before school starts.]

    Three out of four of the college I'm applying to are on this thing called the Common App. This thing really saved my life. You only have to fill out one application for all the colleges. Some of the colleges have supplements where you might have a to do something extra. But still. I only have to fill out two applications in order to apply to four different colleges? Hell yes. On the Common App there's a writing section where you have to write a personal essay from one of the six prompts. This is the one I chose: Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.I seriously considered writing about a character from the Harry Potter series. No doubt, they definitely had a huge influence on my life. But then I thought that there were probably going to be a lot of those this year. Instead, I chose Carmen Lowell from the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. I'm ridiculously proud of my essay. It turned out better than I could have imagined. I might share it later on, but we'll see.

    So tomorrow I am going to reward myself with a huge shopping spree at Forever 21! My wardrobe is in much need. I've literally been living in cut-offs and t-shirts all summer. I'm a mess. I don't feel too bad about it, though. I mean, why would I need to get all dressed up to hang out with a 9 year old?



    2 comments:

    1. Such a huge accomplishment! I remember when I finished my apps. Brilliant. And I would love to read your essay!

      ReplyDelete