Monday, February 28, 2011

I gotchu, Emily Dickinson

Much Madness is divinest Sense--
To a discerning Eye--
Much Sense--the starkest Madness--
'Tis the Majority
In this, as All, prevail--
Assent--and you are sane--
Demur--you're straightway dangerous--
And handled with a Chain--
        --Emily Dickinson


We're currently reading Whitman and Dickinson in my English III class. I like Whitman, but I love Emily Dickinson's poems. Maybe it's because I can relate to her poetry quite well, like the one above. So, from one mad recluse to another, I gotchu Emily.

2 comments:

  1. I studied both of them in English II honors last year!!!! We had to do this powerpoint on a poem of Dickinson! I do like her poetry actually! Whitman is okay. Not a huge fan, but somehow I am related to him! Kinda cool I guess haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to analyze this for ap lit last semester. Such a great class.

    ReplyDelete