Friday, January 27, 2012

True Love's Apple Stem

Whenever I eat an apple I always make sure it still has the stem. I heard somewhere, when I was like 5 or 6, that as you twist off the stem, say a letter of the alphabet with each twist. For example, the first twist is A, the second is B, and so on. Then, whatever letter the stem comes off at is the first letter of your true love's name.

It's probably just some old wives' tale. I mean, what are the chances of getting the same letter every time? It never fails, though, I do this every time I eat an apple. Call it superstition, habit, hope. I just like the thought of it. Something so grasping, true love, being found in an apple.

Who knows? Maybe it is true. I've gotten the letter I quite a few times... I should start keeping a tally of each letter.

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that! I like it. It's very fanciful and fairytale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's quite a few of these actually! Another one is to pluck the stem and stab the apple with it until it pierces the skin. The number of times it took to pierce it, corespond it with the letter in the alphabet and that's your true love's first initial. For example, 8 stabs would be the letter H.

    Another one is to peel an apple but to keep it as one continuous peeling. Once complete, throw it over your shoulder and whatever letter it forms will be your true love's initial lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of the last one, actually! I think I saw it on an episode of Charmed. I'm too unskilled at peeling apples to have tried it, though.

      Delete
  3. I remember doing that. I don't think I ever got C though, it was always farther down the alphabet, maybe mine went for the last name instead.

    ReplyDelete