Sunday, April 17, 2011

22 years of love, trial, and happiness

I just tried to blog from my Droid when I remembered that I'm technologically challenged. Needless to say, the attempt ended shortly thereafter.And no, I didn't forget about blogging until now...

I won't lie, BEDA has been somewhat of a challenge for me. I'm convinced that I suffer from short term memory loss. I'm extremely skilled at memorizing things, but when it comes to returning library books, calling a friend, BEDA, and things of the sort I'm terrible. My friends understand that when they want to text or call me they have to initiate it because I'm likely to forget. In an attempt to save myself, I place sticky notes everywhere. My mirror, desk, fridge, computer, steering wheel. Anywhere. Of course, that doesn't exactly help me in remembering why I left the sticky note... It's a vicious, endless cycle, and a life long battle.

I wanted to share this quick little story with you guys. I was out to dinner with my parents last night and for some reason we got to talking about when my parents were dating. You see, my parents only dated for 3 months before becoming engaged. And then another 3 months before tying the knot. [This is probably because my grandparents were afraid my dad was going to be a bachelor forever. He was 31 when he finally got married, and a pretty big partier during his whole 20s.] After their 3rd date my mom went on vacation with her parents. My dad went out to shoot pool with one of his brothers, Tom, and Tom's fiance, Connie. My dad told Tom and Connie that he was going to marry my mom. My aunt Connie told him to put it in writing. So she got a piece of paper and a pen and wrote, "I am going to marry the nicest girl in the world, Vicki F.  --James E. W."

Apparently Aunt Connie gave the paper to my mom at her wedding shower. While we were at the restaurant my mom gets her purse, pulls out a folded up piece of paper, and hands it to me. I unfold it and it's the note my dad wrote. She's been carrying it around in her purse for 22 years. I won't lie to you guys, I actually started crying. So, of course, they got all teared up, too. That is just the cutest thing I've ever heard. It really warms my heart to think that to this day my parents love each other as much, if not more, than the day they were married. I only hope that when I get married I'll be as happy and in love as they are.



1 comment: